Sunday, April 28, 2013

Late Post on Late-Y (Leyte)

Hello world, I'm back.

I've been away for weeks because of too much work and I am still adjusting to the changing crazy effed up weather.

One rewarding thing about my work is, perhaps, the fact that I get to travel to places for free. This month, me and the whole team of young writers went to the South. We invaded Leyte for a 9-day conference held at Ormoc City. It was my first to get there, since I don't have the time and much resources.

Leyte is an island on the Eastern part of Visayas, which is around 616.46 kilometers or a distance equal to 383.05 miles and 332.64 nautical miles (too much math, I know).

We will be in Ormoc City from days 1 to 8. Ormoc City was first known for the tragic flash flood and landslide that took the lives of around 6,000 inhabitants. But of course, its been more than a decade when it happened, and now Ormoc City has recovered from its sad past.

(You can click on images to make it larger)

After the flash flood in around circa 1991, bridges were built as flood-controllers

A view at the Ormoc City food park. Yes, a food park!

We first set foot at around 5:00 am (+8:00 gmt) at Tacloban City Airport. Mild rains that lasted for almost an hour welcomed us. I thought its going to be rainy for the rest of the day, but I was wrong. After a few, the sun began to shine... and it did magnificently shined so it made the day feel like its really summer.

Ro-ro vessel bound to Cebu City at Ormoc Port.
Fare ranges from Php 300.00-500.00 and travel time lasts for like 3-4 hours or more

Doves are commonly seen roaming and flying around the city plaza

Thinking that we'd get to our destination within an hour, our team didn't take any meal as to start the day in Leyte. It was a wrong choice. I thought its quite near the airport, but for the second time, I was wrong. Ormoc City, our destination, is around 2-3 hours travel by land from our current location. So, as soon as we arrived Ormoc City, we were really starving.

The City park and its nice view of Camotes Sea

Still in the city park. Stalls of various goodies can be found here, too

The place was great, IMHO. And perhaps, what I've said is a bit biased because I love being near the sea. Yes, Ormoc City is surrounded by waters.

Sea wall ready for passers-by who want to sit for a while

A six-seater tricycle as means of transportation can be seen almost everywhere. It looks like the smaller version of the jeepney. The city is clean, too. Too bad we cannot stay out of the quarters for long during late nights because of tasks given by the bosses.

The sea wall at night time. The only photo I had.
Didn't notice the lovers sitting near me when I took this shot *smile*

Ah, this? I call this the JEEPCYCLE. A jeepney+tricycle in one.
What makes Ormoc City really fun? It's the food and some perks. To be posted up next :)

No comments:

Post a Comment